With the ZeroKyst project, we will strengthen Norwegian value creation and export through green growth. The project will demonstrate that both new and existing vessels in the seafood industry can be emission-free. ZeroKyst’s solution will contribute to the reduction of emissions from fishery and aquaculture vessels by 50% before 2030.
The project addresses the development and construction of:
- zero-emission powertrains
- zero-emission vessels
- necessary services for the fishery and aquaculture industry.
ZeroKyst will also establish regional infrastructure in Lofoten with shore power and hydrogen, as well as hydrogen production on Vannøya in Karlsøy. With this, Lofoten becomes an international spearhead in developing the future’s zero-emission vessels for the fishery and aquaculture industry.
Our solution is a holistic approach. We think comprehensively and develop scalable solutions. By starting with smaller vessel segments, we will realize hydrogen as a fuel for the maritime sector even quicker.
Increased expertise = advantage
The ZeroKyst project consists of an industry part and a competence-building part. The industry part includes developing powertrains, vessels, and infrastructure. The competence-building part includes research on the environment and safety to develop long-term, safe and energy-efficient hydrogen-electric solutions. While Selfa Arctic AS heads the industry part, SINTEF Energy Research is responsible for the competence-building part.
ZeroKyst features multiple innovations within energy and other fields, including the first facility in the world for this type of mobile energy supply. In cooperation with NTNU, SINTEF will also develop a cohesive plan for hydrogen supply and charging infrastructure along the Norwegian coast.
The research will lead to increased expertise and knowledge that is made publicly available. For Norwegian participants, this is an important competitive advantage in developing the zero-emission solutions of tomorrow.
The consortium consists of 12 industry and research partners from across the entire value chain. The project is headed by Selfa Arctic AS in Trondheim and is organized through the innovation cluster RENERGY – Renewable Energy Cluster.
Read more about the project at zerokyst.no
The project partners in ZeroKyst
- Selfa Arctic AS (Project manager) | Shipbuilder
- Hymatech AS | Technology supplier
- Øra AS | Fishing boat company, owner of the electric fishing boat “Karoline”
- Ballstad Slip AS | Shipyard for the coastal fishing fleet
- Plug AS | Shore power supply company
- Lofotkraft Muligheter AS | Electrification company
- Siemens Energy AS | Technology supplier
- SINTEF (Energy Research/Ocean/Industry/Helgeland) | Research Institute
- RENERGY – Renewable Energy Cluster | Business cluster
- NTNU | University
- Flakstad municipality | Coastal community
- H2 Marine AS / Greenstat | Energy and infrastructure supplier
The Green Platform Initiative has granted the project. The initiative gives companies and research institutes support for research- and innovation-driven green growth. Their intention is to create green jobs and a more sustainable future.